Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Homemade Glass Cleaner Recipe and All-Natural Homemade Scouring Powder

Sometimes the best things in life are free… or really, really cheap, like this home recipe for natural glass cleaner. It has a somewhat strong smell that completely evaporates once dried. In a 16 oz or bigger spray bottle mix:

1 pint water
2 tablespoons vinegar
10-15 drops essential oil (I use peppermint,it helps mask the vinegar smell)

Shake bottle and spray on windows. Use crumpled newspaper or cotton cloth to wipe off. If you have always used commercial window cleaner in the past, mix a couple drops of liquid castille soap or liquid dish soap in some of this mixture the first time you clean the windows to remove detergent residue.

This easy recipe for homemade scouring powder cleans everything from stuck on floor messes to tile goo. (Not that I’ve ever experienced those personally…) It is inexpensive to make and cleans better than store brands without the vague smell of chemical warfare. I knew that this stuff worked well, but to put it to the test, I restrained myself from cleaning the bathroom for two whole weeks (meaning I was incredibly busy and didn’t get time to clean it for two weeks). It was bad… really bad. I also knew that my kids would be soaking in said freshly cleaned tub that night and didn’t want them to lose any skin pigment from the cleaners I used so I turned to this natural homemade powder.

Ingredients

2 parts baking soda
1 part salt
1 part borax powder

To make:

Pour ingredients into jar or bowl.
Mix or stir until well mixed.
If you want to make a shaker, put in a pint or quart mason jar and poke some holes in the top (carefully) with a sharp serrated knife.

To Use:

Lightly wet surface with water or undiluted white vinegar (for really bad messes)
Sprinkle powder on and let sit 5 minutes
Scrub with sturdy brush until clean
Rinse with water or vinegar (for really bad messes)

No comments:

Post a Comment